Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cross Crusade 1 (Alpenrose Velodrome)



Cyclocross in Portland is a way of life.  Overall 1260 riders were registered and there were just as many spectators, everywhere.  It was intense,  I have never seen so many riders of every skill level and category.  There were people on unicycles racing, a single speed cyclocross tandem, and other silliness.

It has been raining in Portland for the past 4 days just in time for the start of the CrossCrusades.   Cyclocross has gripped the city, bike shops are closed, there are cyclocross themeded parties at bars,  various cyclocross documentaries are being played around town.  I <3 Portland

This was to be my first Category B race on my new bike with my new tubular carbon wheels in a state renowned for cyclocross.  Honestly I was very intimated to line up.  Since I was intimidated and more because people lined up insanely early (30 minutes) or so I got a terrible starting position.  There were approximately 120 riders in the B race and to make it crazier the SingleSpeed race starts 2  minutes behind us.  I was at the ass rear of the starting group.

FYI: Mens B and singlespeed take turns who starts first.  There is usually some feet of strength to determine it, today there was a milk chugging contest by both number 1 riders of each category mens B won.

The race started off slowly, there were lots of bottleneck type areas where it was stupidly slow and I was lost any dreams of the lead.  Once the race started to open up a 1/2 lap in I never got passed by another B rider (4 singlespeeders went by, but they were crazy crazy crushers) for the day.

The course was awesome, it was wet, muddy, sticky, slippery, rutty.  There were multiple barrier sets, a quick run up, a stairset run up, a fun weird course through and on the velodrome, and some pavement sections.  Absolutely ideal cyclocross conditions.

My bike/wheels handled far better than I ever imagined.  There is a quote in cycling saying "it doesn't matter what you ride, it matters how you ride it."  While this is very true, it is really nice having high end stuff.  The carbon wheels are so light and fast that I was able to accelerate out of every corner and turn and blow by a lot of people.   The frame was absolutely perfect, it handled so perfectly, the tight tracking made it incredibly fast and it soaked up all the bumps (hats off to High-Five cycles).  Since it only weighs in a bit over 17 lbs it just floats over the barriers effortlessly.  The big winner on the day was using my 700x34 Grifo Challenge tubular tires.  I ran them around 30 psi and they were perfect.  I had traction almost around every turn and I was able to ride a lot of parts that other people had to run up which saves a lot of time and energy. I just need a few more miles on it yet.

Overall I finished 41 out of 120 riders, not tapped out of energy, and kept it rubberside down.  I claim this as a victory considering where I started and how many riders I had to pass in 45 minutes.  Next time I am lining up first row and I think I can pull out a top 20 finish.

And now for some photos!!!



" Alpenrose Velodrome is one most exciting tracks in the United States. At 268.43 meters around with a 16.6 meter radius and a 43 degree bank, Alpenrose is also one of the steepest velodromes in the country. The steep banks make races on the velodrome interesting to watch and just plain fun to ride."

No one even attempted to ride the wet, steep walls.



Tight hairpin turn



Rock barrier



Ryan Trebon leading the mens A around another sloppy hairpin



Barrier set






The course looped through the middle of the velodrome a lot and then the finish line was a straightaway on the track.



This stair run up was a clogging point a lot.  You could go up both sides though.



Some guy riding.



Playing in the mud.



The rear of my bike afterward, somehow those brakes still worked.



I had about 4 lbs of mud and grass stuck in every part of my bike.  It still worked flawlessly though (surprisingly).  My handlebars stayed immaculately clean somehow, which make for excellent grip.

No comments: