Friday, September 5, 2008

Portland is for climbers

not these guys

http://www.tranism.com/weblog/images/iceclimber_03.jpg

more of the cycling persuasion.

This morning Andrew and I took off around 8:15 am with the intention of heading west for some hill climbing.  Now being a recent transplant to Portland from the midwest means I haven't really experienced real hill climbing.

Once we got away from downtown, the climb began.   Steep switchbacks all the way to the top of a hill/mountain (?) for about 25 minutes.  I was in the small chain ring (34t) and my largest cog (25t) and crawling about 5~6 mph.  I would do various spurts of sit-down climbing and standing.  There were quite a few points where I wanted to get off and walk, but that isn't allowed in cycling.   My legs burned, but eventually we made it to the top and all those feelings were gone.

With every up there is a down (most of the time at least).  The downhill was fun and fast.  A 52 mph coast down winding roads.   This is why I love road biking, the pain and speed that are attainable by a single person powering this machine is incredible.

We got back to SE Portland and decided to do a climb up Mt. Tabor (bottom to the peak).  Which is still a pretty decent climb.  This last climb session tapped me.  We reached the top and spun home.

These hill climbs will kick me into shape fast.

Rough elevetation climb 1000 ft.

No comments: