Monday, February 16, 2009

Limp arms and a smile

The past two weekends in a row I have put in over 100 miles each with some tough climbs on the road, I have also been trying to put on 100 miles or so during the week.

Yesterdays ride shook my arms into a spaghettificaion state (no black holes present). I got talked into riding 10 miles of fire trail (bumpy off-road) on my road bike. While rough on the body and the bike I loved it. I need to put my cross bike back together so I can do some fun rides on it. Every now and then I need to remember that bike riding is a lot of fun; all the base training miles have beaten my brain into mud.

Today was the lunch time lawyer ride, small group due to the holiday. I was feeling pretty good so I decided to have some fun.

First hot lap I sat 3rd wheel following a strong rider who was pushing it. I flashed Andrew a hand signal that I was going to pound it and that he should follow. I jumped hard and he followed perfectly. I pulled for a brief moment but it was enough to slingshot him into the lead finish.

The 2nd hot lap I was curious to see what would happen, so I attempted to pull the entire lap and just pound it out. I got a small gap on the group and held it for most of the lap, I knew they were reeling me in though. I tried to keep it going but I was spent and sat up. Not strong enough.

Still feeling fairly spry on the hill brutalizer I decided to pound into it and see what would happen. I held a large gap for awhile and then got caught by 2 guys that are really freakishly good climbers. They gapped me by a bit but then I started reeling them back in, not fast enough for the finish though.

Training rides are for dumb mistakes and trying/playing tactics. Today I figured out that I should sit in for a little more and then make a move towards the end more. I know this is obvious, but sometimes you just have to learn it the hard way.

No comments: